Wednesday, October 22, 2014
Cipriani 42nd Street, New York City
From left to right, Ted Turner, United Nations Foundation Founder and Chairman, Kathy Calvin, President and CEO, Timothy E. Wirth, Vice Chairman, and Jane Fonda, actress and philanthropist, at the 2013 Global Leadership Awards Dinner at Gotham Hall in New York City. (Insider Images/Stuart Ramson for UN Foundation) View more photos. The Global Leadership Dinner is the preeminent gathering of world leaders to recognize the achievements of those who work with the United Nations to solve the worldâ€™s most pressing global issues.
Recognized as one of New Yorkâ€™s top events, the Global Leadership Dinner is distinguished by A-list attendance representing the highest levels of the diplomatic, business, government, philanthropic, media, entertainment and social sectors. In addition to honoring the 2014 global leaders, the dinner features special guests Ted Turner, Chairman and Founder of the United Nations Foundation, and UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.
The Global Leadership Dinner is central to calling the worldâ€™s attention to the work of the UN and supporting a peaceful, prosperous and just future. Proceeds benefit UNA-USA and its work to inform, educate, and inspire Americans in support of the UN.
Last year, the United Nations Foundation and the United Nations Association of the USA celebrated the important work of the UN, the U.S.'s key support of the UN and the inspirational leaders who are working to advance peace, prosperity, and justice here in the United States and throughout the world at our annual Global Leadership Dinner on November 6, 2013 at Gotham Hall in New York.
This year's honoree's include:
- Paul Polman, CEO, Unilever
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- Valerie Amos, Under Secretary-General and Emergency Relief Coordinator, OCHA
- Senator Chris Murphy (D-CT) and Congressman Adam Kinzinger (R-IL) for their commitment to a strong American relationship with the United Nations
Download more information:
The 2013 honorees included:
- Malala Yousafzai, the courageous Pakistani teenager who has overcome enormous challenges to speak out for girls education;
- Senator Timothy E. Wirth, the UN Foundationâ€™s Vice Chair and the person who turned Ted Turnerâ€™s vision for the UN Foundation into a reality;
- U.S. Ambassador to the UN Samantha Power, who was honored for her fierce commitment to human rights;
- Frontline polio workers, who are performing heroic work in protecting children from this crippling disease;
- GE Africa, a leader in improving health care for women and children through the Secretary-Generalâ€™s Every Woman Every Child movement; and
- 10x10, the filmmakers who created Girl Rising and are trailblazers in raising awareness of the importance of girlsâ€™ education.
Check out highlights from the 2013 Global Leadership Dinner, including video and photos.
Check out highlights from the 2012 Global Leadership Dinner, including video and photos.
Check out highlights from the 2011 Global Leadership Dinner, including video and photos.
Global Leadership Awards History
For 55 years, UNA-USA's Global Leadership Dinner has brought together policymakers, diplomats, UN supporters, business leaders, and celebrities to call attention to the vital role the UN plays in helping the global community advance peace, prosperity and justice and to honor individuals and corporations for their global leadership in advancing UN causes. Read More >>